Monday, January 24, 2011

Find Someone.

What interests you? What motivates you on a daily basis? Stop reading this post right now and answer those two questions. 

Now that you have thought about it, lets break them down. The interests you have should be the things that motivate you. If I was interested in playing golf but had zero motivation to play...well then I would be completely terrible. Become motivated in the things that interest you. Where does this line up with being a leader? To stay interested in the area of ministry you are called you must stay motivated or you will be burned out before you even get things going. 

I have been around student ministry my entire life. My father started in student ministry when I was in the third grade. From that point on it became my life, and now I have followed in his footsteps and started my own journey in this area of ministry. But one day I did not wake up and drive to a church and tell them I wanted to be their student pastor, no it took steps. (For those of you already in an area of ministry, just skip this part and re-read the paragraph above this one before going any farther). Whatever area of ministry you feel you are called, I challenge you to find someone in that ministry at your local church and ask if they will adopt you for a short while (Figuratively, don't google adoption agencies). More than likely they will love the help from you and while you are helping their ministry succeed they will be pouring into you something more valuable than anything you can ever read. They will be pouring into you time, ministry skills, experience, and more than anything love. A love that you will need to make your ministry personal and Christ centered one day.

Your ministry doesn't begin when you get your first position, find that leader that is paving the way for you and take every ounce of knowledge he has to offer. Find someone in the area that you are motivated by your interest whether it be a student pastor, worship pastor, lead pastor, small group leader, parking lot greeter, media pastor, youth worker, kids pastor...just find someone.

The same is said for young leaders already in ministry somewhere. Find someone that can share their triumphs and failures. I have a group of friends (that happen to be student pastors) that I eat lunch with weekly and we pick each others brains. Our ministries have gained so much more from these lunches than any conference we could ever go to. I stress the word friend because only leaders you call friends can really understand and know you, and when they know you they can give advice you need that second and minister to you when you need someone to lay everything out on the line with.

find someone.

peace be the journey.
///tres

1 comments:

Rick said...

Awesome idea! I believe if young leaders would look around they would find plenty of willing mentors. And if someone isn't open to sharing their wisdom and time with you, they aren't mentor material anyway.

Post a Comment