Monday, February 7, 2011

But I'm Not a Pastor.

Pastor-leader of a spiritual community.

When you think of the word leader in ministry it is very easy to jump straight to "the pastor", but there are so many more leaders in ministry. When I first began I thought I was just someone who would be put in a room with a few teenagers to keep them occupied, little did I know that in our first staff meeting my opinion would be asked for and my opinion would end up happening. Me, a 20 year old, making a decision for not just student ministry but for the entire church. This one example shattered my idea of the pastor being the sole leader of the church. (Note he is the ultimate leader whom we follow but we all lead as well)

I made this point because if I had that thought, then Im sure plenty of other people have the same thoughts on leading in ministry. Churches need leaders but that doesn't mean they are asking you to change your career focus or quit your job and become a kid's pastor. There are so many different areas of ministry inside and outside of the church that needs someone to lead it. For example I have a friend who is an art major. Recently our church started a children's small group called "little creators" that is helping children expand their creative skills and now this art major is leading this group. She hasn't went to seminary, she doesn't have the entire Bible memorized, she isn't even on staff at the church, but she is leading.

If only we can get past the idea that the only leaders a church can have are paid staff. Leaders can lead pretty much anywhere. People are always looking for leaders. As a student pastor I am pushing a small group of teens to become leaders in the things they do. Why wouldn't the local high school football team need a spiritual leader? Or a local hardcore band have a spiritual leader that influences everyone that listens to their music? Or what about a girl that is on Facebook and Twitter non stopped, why can't she be a spiritual leader for those reading her post? This is just in my area of ministry. With adults leaders are needed everyday in a work environment, why not make it a spiritual leader? The workplace and the church go hand in hand. A staff pastor can't go into your workplace and or your school and change an employee or friend's life, but you can.

You're not the pastor but you can be the leader of your community, but isn't that what a pastor is anyways? So in a way...maybe you are.

peace be the journey.
///tres

0 comments:

Post a Comment