Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Time Management

Boy oh boy is this something all young leaders struggle with? For me it was/is. With social networking sites owning people's souls like they do today, time management is even harder to accomplish.

So how do we manage the unmanageable? How do we tame our time? I can't think of anymore cool sayings to encourage time management. So I will just continue this post. If you can't manage your time then you will get overwhelmed with the tasks (plural) at hand. When leading it seems you are never just involved in one thing and if you are involved in one thing there is multiple layers to that particular task. (Long sentence) The best thing to do in this situation is to get a to do list started via paper and pen or a smart phone app. When you constantly see all the tasks at hand your are motivated to knock them out.

Time is precious, make sure you are not wasting time on things that you don't think is important. I promise getting a helium tank for an event is more important than liking someone's status on Facebook. Set certain time for you to accomplish tasks and when that time is up...STOP. Do not get burned out on tasks, simply work as hard as you can in that amount of time and you should get things done that you have to. Only you know the pace at which you can work so base how much you do in a day by your work pace. However, if you have a terrible work ethic or only want to give a little time to the task then you may want to re-think this whole leader thing. Everyone wants to be the leader who is giving the leadership speeches on how they became successful, but to get there you have to work as hard as the person giving the speech worked...which is extremely hard in case you didn't know.

Today I have wen't to school, took a test, had a staff meeting, contacted some workers, and typed this post. After this, I will finish some internet homework, study somethings for my sermon tomorrow night, work on literature for my small group I lead on Thursdays, and then  STOP...so I can relax and attend an awesome small group with some great friends. (I also wear a humble badge) But by no means am I bragging, just giving an example. I want to lead and be effective, so there is some work involved. Im not stressed out about the work because I have time managed and it's getting done at a good pace. Instead of playing x-box live for 3 hrs I limit myself and work a little more on things that need to be done. I can beat some stranger in NHL 11 online later on, right now I have to get stuff done. That used to be my biggest problem, stopping mid task to have me time...me time is much more enjoyable when a task is complete.

Maybe you can relate. What's really important in your life that you spend a lot of time on? What do you spend time on that you could cut out a little? How is your time management?

peace be the journey.
///tres

1 comments:

itsybitsybrianna said...

Great GREAT post bestie.
I know exactly what you mean, and I do think this is something we ALL really struggle with.
Social Networking is KILLER.
About a year ago, my old laptop crashed during the middle of one of the most important papers I have ever written. I HAD to make sure I could get all of the work that was ON that computer. My entire research paper [17 pages of research] was on that computer. Thank the LORD uncle Brian is a genius and restored all of my files!
Anyway, he had my laptop for an entire week. I had no laptop, no desktop, NO INTERNET!
During that entire week, I have NEVER gotten so much accomplished. My brain has never obtained so much information from text books.
It seriously was AWESOME not having all of the distractions that come with the internet being right at the tip of our fingers!

So, like most, I think the main thing I could use less of to help manage my time better is the INTERNET in general.

Keep these GREAT posts coming

LOVE YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!

Post a Comment