Thursday, February 10, 2011

Self Confidence is Overrated

Today's special guest writer is Brent Hand. He is one of my closest friends and student pastor of ChristWay Church. Add him on Facebook and follow him on Twitter: @brenthand. Here is what he has to share with all young leaders.


Self Confidence Is Over Rated

From Saturday morning cartoons, high school guidance counselors, and inspirational posters of kittens in precarious situations we’ve been told to believe in ourselves throughout life.

But today I’m telling you to stop believing in yourself because you can’t do it.

You can’t deliver a life-changing sermon.
You can’t make a lasting impression on students.
You can’t create an atmosphere of worship.
You can’t rebuild a broken home.
You can’t convince someone to believe again.
You can’t bring hope to a dying community.
You can’t fix a warped relationship.
You can’t save the world.

Luckily we all know someone who is capable of doing “immeasurably more” than we can even imagine.

I struggle with confidence issues a lot.  At one point in my ministry I found myself questioning my own judgment, ability, and wisdom constantly.  If we were to be honest, that’s something that haunts a lot of young leaders.  But I finally I realized a very simple truth: who cares what I can and can’t do?  Ministry should never be about what I’m able to do.  It’s about what he’s able to do.

The work God has done in our lives and through our lives relies completely on grace, “so no man can boast.”  You can only brag about what you’ve done, so if you’re bragging, then you are talking about something YOU did.  And if it’s ministry you’ve done in your own strength, can we really label it ministry?  It’s just an empty action.

If you in fact CAN do what it is you are doing without him, then please stop.  How boring is it doing only what you can do in your own strength?  How small are your goals?  How limited is your vision?

The truth is you can build a following without the power of God.  You can even see results.  But you’ll never see the impossible.

In any type of ministry there is a draw to be recognized, to be seen, to be heard.  But you have already been called by the one with the only opinion that matters anyway.  And what has he called us to?

He called us to be servants, not rock stars.
He called us to be the last, not the first.
He called us to wash feet, not sell out arenas.
He called us, above all else, to be humble.

Stop wasting time trying to get noticed and worrying about being good enough.  Spend it doing what he’s called you to do.  Dream big.  Act boldly.  See the impossible.  That should be enough.

“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”
2 Corinthians 12:9

2 comments:

mrfox said...

Well said Brent. Grace is God giving me the ability to do something I don't have the ability to do. Thanks for the sobering words!

Kyla said...

wow awesome. eye opening. who cares if someone is more talented that me ? its not about what we can do anyways! and if the same God is working through me and the "more talented" person, then YAY for God who gets all the glory from both!

Post a Comment